FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Maldives [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2024, 4:25 am
LovetoTravel83

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by wkndvibes
This is great to hear - this forum has been quite quiet, so pleased to see an update. I wrote in the RC Maldives forum as it was more active (and much of what follows is a copy/paste of my post there), but given your recent stay, would love a bit more insight as to your preference between the JW and the Ritz for first-timers. Myself, my partner, and another couple (all in our mid/upper 30s) are visiting for our first time this fall - snagged Qsuite tickets using American Airlines miles. We're currently booked at the JW - half the stay in an overwater villa and half the stay in a beach villa - but we're also really intrigued by the Ritz. Two of the group are PADI certified and will want to dive. Otherwise, we are relatively low-key and will spend our days soaking up the sun, snorkeling, probably do a few excursions, enjoy any resort recreation, and enjoy good food/drinks. Ritz is intriguing to me largely for the rooms (modern, new, location of tub, indoor/outdoor showers), the ability to explore the Fari Islands campus/more physical spaces to explore, and the speedboat transfer (more convenient departure as our flight home is at 7:45 p.m.). The JW, though, is older/more established, so I assume the marine life is better, breakfast is included (both parties have status), overall more affordable (room/excursions), seaplane (fun for first-timers?), and thinking pools might be warmer as they're extended a bit more beyond any shade coverings. Did you do any snorkeling/diving - how was the marine life? Would love any input or thoughts on one vs. the other?

I would go for the Ritz. Having been there twice. Didn't like the first time due to being a new hotel (so many minor issues that we had to leave early). However, the 2nd time we went there it was much MUCH better, we stayed in a 2 bedroom beach villa. The Island itself is amazing, no employees in the island as they stay on a different island which leaves alot of space for hotel guests and more sand/green (In most Maldives resorts, the staff live in the center of the island which takes alot of space). Also, you have so many dining options at the Ritz, you can even dine at Patina as well where at the JW there is limited dining options.

The Ritz is a bit windy on the west side of the island which is a downer, where the JW was very relaxing on the west side with great views. The JW beach is far better as it is natural but not big, where the Ritz is huge but quality is a little low as it is a man made island.

Most likely they will let you stay in your villa as late as possible given the boat ride as long there is availability. Our flight was at 11 pm and we left our villa at 8:30 pm.