FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : 4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:10 pm
hotelprof

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Explorist; IHG Gold; Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott publishes listings for both resort and convention properties on the internet.

https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...conventions.mi

https://www.marriott.com/travel-expe...resort-hotels/
If only it were that easy... That first link leads to a search that seems to return any hotel that has any meeting/convention space at all (so essentially all of them, even a tiny Fairfield Inn), rather than a list of designated convention hotels. The second link leads to a search page that goes nowhere; entering a location and clicking Find Resorts just redirects to itself. There is also a "View All Resorts" link, but it just takes you to the Hotel Directory, showing (once again) all Marriott properties, not just resorts. But the good news is (see below)...

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I consider myself pretty well informed, yet I can't tell which hotels are genuinely convention hotel.
I made a post here last August (probably long-buried by now) with some important information on this, so it's probably time to post a summary of it again.

Basically, there are two searches you have to do on each of two different sites to find out if a Marriott property counts as a resort or convention hotel.

You can start with the Marriott site itself - specifically, the Marriott Hotel Directory. Go to Filters. There are two relevant ones here under Hotel Type: "Convention center" and "Resort". If your hotel shows up under either of these filters, it's exempt from the 4 pm guarantee. (Yes, there's only 2 on this directory that are actually classified as "Convention center" hotels...) But we're not done yet.

Next, head to Marriott Bonvoy Events. Punch in your location, then switch to List view. (This is required; some brands, such as Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, will not show up in Map view due to a likely oversight.) On the left, scroll down to "Convention & Resorts." Again, two relevant filters: "Resorts" and "Convention & Resort Networks." Check each one (separately, not at the same time). If your hotel shows up under either of these filters, it's exempt from the 4 pm guarantee.

If it doesn't appear under ANY of those four filters (total), then 4 pm checkout for Platinums and above should be guaranteed.

Note that there is some overlap between these lists. But each list has at least some properties that don't show up on any others, so they all have to be checked.

In fact, I compiled a complete list (at the time) of all properties in the USA (50 states + DC) that are considered resort or convention hotels by the above methods. This list was accurate to the best of my knowledge as of August 2023, but any changes since then won't be accounted for.

It's ridiculous that one has to jump through all these hoops just to figure out if you're entitled to your benefit that's "guaranteed" (except when it's not). Beats me why they can't just publish a single list of all exempt properties like they used to.