FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Oneworld Explorer User Guide
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:14 am
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by peterd87
All of your comments made me think on how to optimize routing and turn this into a DONE4.

Putting our travel plans together for the next year and a half it turned out we could use part of the ticket for this October / November, next chunk April / May next year and then finalize the last portion in October 2025. Will be adding some additional flights as cash / points.

This would lead to 49124 miles, of which 45564 will actually be flown. On Iberia this would credit as 4820 tier points, though timing with the split year is not ideal. For my daughter who has no status (3 year old I will check and see what makes most sense given that Iberia is now allowed). AA RTW desk should be able to ticket given the TATL segment with AA.

Any view on the above, does this indeed seem to be correct and should it be feasible to ticket as such? I realise we are still skipping Asia (though that is less of interest for this trip - when I get the hang of this likely it will be part of the next).

Many thanks!

Peter
Looks like a great itinerary overall. Split years are definitely not ideal but unavoidable in many of these tickets, so you'll need to plan any extra needed elite points around that. I actually grabbed one of the ex-CAI ones when it was on sale recently that's entirely in 2024 but that's also very rare for me. I tend to split them over elite years, but have parts in each year so it evens out.

TBH on a DONE4 it's not optimal to skip Asia, it is a waste because you do pay for it already. But if you are using all 16 segments elsewhere that's a different story. I always have some anyway because I live in TYO, but understand that's different for everyone.