FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Oneworld Explorer User Guide
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:58 am
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by peterd87
I'm trying to compile a route leaving Europe, visiting Australia, SWP (Fiji, Apia) and traveling then via the US back to Amsterdam. On the back I'm trying to tie a trip to the Middle East (Dubai) for a week.

The main issue is that I'm maxing out my miles and that I'm left with a number of segments.

Current routing is as follows (unfortunately not allowed to post screenshots):
OSL - DOH: 3082MI
DOH - ADL: 7030MI
ADL - ASP: 816MI

ASP - BNE: ground segment 1223MI

BNE-APW: 2433MI
APW-NAN: 753MI
NAN-LAX: 4796MI
LAX-DFW: 1073MI
DFW-AMS: 4921MI

AMS-DOH: 3062MI
DOH-DXB: 235MI
DXB-DOH: 235MI
DOH-OSL: 3082MI

Totaling: 33625MI - 13 segments

Does anyone have advise on potential improvements to further maximize, the Dubai trip is negotiable, Australia / SWP isn't (but routing can change). Took OSL as a starting point as this this is mentioned as one of the cheaper.
You're pretty much maxed out for a DGLOB34, and you can't use FJ on a DONE4 / 5, so you have to decide if that's your priority. I'm honestly not sure if that ground segment ASP-BNE counts toward your 34,000 miles or not, we don't see a lot of chatter about the DGLOB* tickets on here. Are you driving that segment? Otherwise I'd certainly be doing it on QF, it's a long drive with not a lot in between but is only 3 days a week to BNE and QF only fly to APW from BNE. Your other short segments aren't terribly wasteful in my opinion as they aren't particularly cheap if you would have done them in business class anyway. The US domestic segments are a tossup, but ADL-ASP and DOH-DXB aren't cheap as standalones in business.

Your only other option that I see is to convert it to a DONE4, where you can have a lot more miles, but you can't have any FJ segments. That means buying your own way APW-NAN and also finding a different route from NAN-USA, but you could do NAN-SYD-DFW on QF (requires overnight in SYD). You haven't touched Asia at all, though on a DONEx you're still charged for it going from Europe to the Oceana zone, so there's potential to add segments there. A DONE4 vs. a DGLOB34 is only about a $60-70 difference on the base fare, so if you have any interest in visiting a couple of places in Asia it could be worthwhile. If you have no interest in Asia then stick with what you have, you're not wasting segments because you're at the limit on miles for that ticket, and you can't use FJ on DONE4. (That'll change probably in 2025 or 2026, but not soon enough). If I'm calculating correctly however you still have 2 more segments you can play with on a DONE4 (since you still need to get to ADL which has no direct flights to Asia and will require a connection in OZ adding 1 to your current 13 (***edit, I stand corrected, MH does fly to ADE 5 days a week, so potentially gives you one more segment if you're interested in a KUL stopover), so could consider for example DOH-TYO or HKG on QR, there to BKK or SIN on JL or CX, then QF to SYD-ADL. Or even DOH- anywhere in Asia on QR (but must be where CX or JL fly), stopover, then there to HKG or TYO, then QF/CX/JL to SYD and QF to ADL.I guess you could make that work with MH and KUL as well, I forgot MH does fly to OZ as well. I guess for that matter, so does UL, so you could do DOH-TYO on QR, stopover TYO-CMB on UL, stopover CMB-SYD on UL and SYD-ADL on QF

Ultimately what are you trying to accomplish with this trip? It sounds like going places you really want to go is priority vs. maximizing mileage / TPs, etc. If that's the case, you have a fine itinerary since the south Pacific is harder to incorporate currently in a DONEx until FJ joins OW. It certainly can be done as I've noted in my above alternatives, but you end up with a bunch of short segments that aren't optimized for mileage earnings vs. doing frivolous Europe-DOH-Europe segments on QR, SE Asia-TYO-SE Asia segments on JL, or ORD / DFW to ANC to ORD / DFW on AS for example. I think the way to look at it is you have a bunch of segments, even the short-ish ones that are actually quite expensive to buy in business a la carte, so it's still good value either way.

I don't know what the difference in your YQ will be if you do the above DONE4 suggestions vs. your DGLOB34. Using a QF segment ex-OSL for SYD-DFW typically adds A LOT, but you can ticket it on the AA code for much less YQ. The intra-Asia segments I've mentioned won't make a huge difference. Though note you can't ticket SYD-DFW on an AA code in the OW tool. You have to do that with a RTW desk or travel agent. If however your trip is later in the year, then AA will have their own BNE-DFW flight you can ticket on instead, which will work in the OW tool.

Last edited by dvs7310; Apr 5, 2024 at 10:25 am