FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TAP Long Haul Business Class experiences
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:36 am
estrela

Originally Posted by davidsfo
Just flew for TAP the first time in J.....SFO to LIS and back. The good points....new planes...clean and comfortable .....great entertainment system. The outbound (eastbound) flight had a good and caring crew and service. As with most PM departures, everyone slept through most of the flight. The return flight from Lisbon to SFO was the worst customer service in J I've seen on numerous carriers' long haul. It was almost like the flight attendants were on strike. Due to winds, this was a 12 hour flight...probably the longest in the TAP network. There was virtually no turbulence, so excuse for the crew's poor service. The crew was totally absent for the first 1.5 hours of the flight before they conducted a rushed "main" service. They clearly were just doing as little as possible as quickly as possible.. They did a first beverage service with no refills followed by an immediate lunch service again without follow up service except for an immediate dessert service. They did everything within an hour. Their goal seemed to be "get and done" and over and disappear.. I stayed up during the entire flight and they were virtually gone for the next 9 hours of the flight. There were no walk-throughs to gather glasses or trash or see if guests needed anything.. Since this was a westbound AM departure, almost everyone was awake. People were pushing the call buttons and no one came for 5 minutes. The FAs not on break were busily chatting in the gallery and doing no service. The pre landing meal was the same deal...they accomplished it within 20 minutes for the entire cabin and then disappeared until literally we were on final approach to SFO. This is the type of service expected in Y, but not J where we're all paying a good premium. Maybe this crew was an anomaly but I heard FAs grousing about how TAP had not staffed the flights with an appropriate number of crew. I was hoping to add TAP to my list of go to carriers for trips to Europe, but I wouldn't waste the money on their J product unless every other carrier was much more expensive and had long connections.
Thanks for sharing. I had similar experiences in C on shorthaul with crew refusing to do any service.

This is a mix of portuguese entitlement and failed management. Crew thinking being better than providing good service to paying passengers and management incompetent to motivate and ensure performance.

Same happens everywhere in that country: Drivers speeding over red lights, parking on sidewalks, politicians taking money and police incompetent to control or even doing the same.

TAP is just much closer to TAAG than to Air France and other Western European carriers.