FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:09 am
Microwave
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Microwave
I bought my ticket through Egencia, it was LHR-IAH-SEA and back the same way, and it ended up being a bulk fare booked into A. As it happens, it's a bulk fare—lucky me. Normally I wouldn't book through Houston when trying to upgrade, but those flights were the only ones on the dates I needed with A inventory (everything else was booking into O for insanely high prices). Tomorrow I am returning to London, and of course the IAH-LHR is looking like an impossible upgrade at this point, so I was hoping to change to another flight into London with a better chance to upgrade, though of course the agent said that bulk fares are ineligible for SDC.

I found a 5 year old post in the archive indicating that bulk fares were ineligible for SDC, and wanted to confirm whether this is still the case. In addition, I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with making same-day changes via OLCI (as opposed to calling), as sometimes it's possible to make changes online that cannot be done over the phone. When I tried to do it myself, it was looking for flights with PZ inventory since my SEA-IAH upgrade has already cleared—I am asking this specific question as if putting myself back into B would allow the online system to let me do a SDC, I would gladly call and ask the upgrade to be reversed, though if there's no hope I'd prefer to stay up front for that flight at least. TIA for the advice!
To circle back, the phone agent wouldn’t touch the booking with a barge pole, but a very helpful UC agent in SEA rebooked me onto SEA-EWR-LHR, with instant upgrade PN space available for the domestic flight, and the international flight clearing about 2 hours after the rebooking (and well before getting to EWR, so Polaris Lounge access secured as well). I’ll remember not to book a bulk fare next time, but this time it ended up working out.