FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:34 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by moondog
11. Until I was around 12 (so the rough time frame is1975-87), my mom and I went from Boston to Pittsburgh almost every year. We flew BOS-PIT nonstop on 3 different airlines during that time frame, though 2 of them were effectively the same airline (i.e. just a rebrand or a perhaps a merger + rebranding) on 4 different a/c types. One of these airlines also operated flights between BOS and PIT that stopped in 2 different places (XXX and YYY), which were each close to “great circle” compliance, but if you tried to hit both on the same flight, you’d be zigzagging. A fourth airline entered our orbit on the same route in the early 80s, but didn’t offer through fares (e.g. BOS-ZZZ and ZZZ-PIT were sold separately, and my mom always paid in cash at the beginning of each segment, but there must have been other sales channels too). This airline was folded into airline #5, which did offer through fares, but everything else remained the same (i.e. airplanes and XXX) until the end of the decade. So, I’m looking for 5 airlines, 4 a/c types (subtypes might have been applicable in 2 cases, but I don’t know them), and XXX/YYY/ZZZ.
11-
  • TWA had a fair amount of nonstop BOS<>PIT service in this timeframe, mainly with DC-9-10s but 707-100Bs and 727-100/200s likely also appeared
  • "merger + rebranding" is Allegheny / USAir; their most common jet on BOS<>PIT, was the DC-9-30, though I'd be willing to bet there was an occasional -50, BAC 1-11, and 727-200 ... Hartford (BDL) and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) are both pretty much right on the great circle track, but I don't recall that AL ran from either point to BOS; Harrisburg (MDT) and Allentown (ABE) are a bit farther off the GC track but better candidates in terms of possible thru flights
  • "paid in cash ... each segment" is the giveaway for the connecting service over Newark/EWR on People Express (later Continental); the equipment of record was the 737-100/200 and 727-200