FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I am not sure they thought this through
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:07 pm
Orange County Commuter

Originally Posted by chipbennett
Personally, I've never understood trying to achieve status through CC spend. But then, I've had the "luxury" (curse?) of having frequent flights thanks to business travel, so maybe the CC-spend status is a different demographic? I've always just traveled, and whatever status level I achieve is what status I have. I put DL spend on a DL co-branded CC, primarily for the RDM. Hotel spend goes on a hotel co-branded card (same reason). All other travel spend goes on a general travel rewards CC (because the returns are better).

Of course, now DL has me playing coupon-book games to recoup increased CC AF. But other than that, I don't look at CC spend as an avenue to status - for airline, hotels, or any other loyalty program.

When I was traveling weekly it was easy to "spend" my way to DM, but now... I would really have to work at it to spend $75K on Amex and the benefits of doing my spending on my other cards are dramatically better than a few skyclub visits so... I won't even bother to try.

I don't expect Delta to change anything because I am not spending... It's just what it is. I am not looking for anything.