FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upsell / cash upgrade issues - Qatar is losing $$$
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:44 am
scottishpoet

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by AntonS
This part I understand, but my main point is that there is NO REASON not to offer segment upgrades at any time until last seat availability.

Just price these segment upgrades accordingly not to jeopardize J ticket sales (hint: you can even price these upgrades above current J fares if it’s hard to figure out upfare costs automatically, unless of course there is some special going on). I think this is what Emirates does and most US airlines do also.

I think most US airlines just treat them as seat purchase when you go to seat map and select exit row, premium or business class seat and pay, which makes it easier for customers and makes a lot of sense to me.
QR perhaps looking rlto protect the J product on their shorter segments. They are discouraging people like me only buying J on the overnight segment.

Yes on one flight it may look unreasonable, but they will be looking at a bigger picture.

QR probably think they can sell married segment business class on that flight connecting from other flights and do not want to put that other revenue at risk. If those late bookings pcannot fly both sectors in J then they may choose to fly a different carrier completely

yes other airlines may choose different ways of working, like the US free upgrade if space avaiable....

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 13, 2024 at 1:34 am