FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:38 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Ed Size
I always dream of something like this happening to me.... AY is the airline I've flown with the most in my life by far, I have the longest status, but an op-up? Never.

It's happened with most other airlines I fly with frequently, and the best AY can give you is a spot on the waitlist that gets cleared at T-XXX.

Don't report op-ups here, expectations will be too high.
Yes, you are right, better not!
I just thought it was interesting that they are so anxious to peddle upgrades for money and push all kinds of messages about this and that, but the op-ups they don't inform the traveller about. I've had cases on other airlines when they have contacted me to apologise for not giving me my selected seat, because of the upgrade!

In all fairness, my pattern (and I believe yours too?) is mainly confirmed business and then there is zero upgrade opportunities anyway. I ran the numbers quickly and of all my AY flights, around 87% were in business anyway. So with that situation op-ups would be very rare.