FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]
Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:33 pm
meijiem

This past week I've had my first flight in perhaps 6 years with channel 9 on, IAH-SFO on a 772. It was such a pleasure. I didn't remember how soothing it was.

We departed the gate, and I could hear the tower giving hold and taxi instructions. We were cleared for takeoff. We had some turbulence on the climb, and I could listen to the pilots ask for a new level, ATC tell them the expected severity (light chop), until finally we reached a smooth cruise. I could hear all the other flights crossing the southwest radio in to control. I could hear my flight being handed off from center to center. Then as we approached the Bay, I listened to the descent instructions, reduce speed instructions, felt the plane gradually descend, bank, come in for approach on the path cleared. We landed, were guided through the taxi, and got to the gate just about as scheduled.

I didn't change off the channel for the whole flight. It was such a lovely, calm experience.

I wish pilots would enable this more often. Thank you to my pilots who did.