FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - are award tickets upgraded to premium plus (R fare) upgradable to polaris ?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:57 pm
jay526

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by wanderingshi
Fascinating and congrats. You think the agent on the phone was able to get you through? Or do you think the gate agent did something? I'm guessing you never checked the upgrade list until departure?
No, the phone agent didn't seem to know how to do this beyond "the system won't let me go any further" but it's clear that she somehow had managed to add the record and the passenger's misspelled name to the waitlist. I also saw PlusPoints get deducted after the call was done.

With all this being done T-72 hours prior to departure, I could see that I was added to the waitlist but was not expecting it to go through given what the phone agent had told me ("can't upgrade an award ticket"). But it's clear that the gate agent just went down the list and upgraded me, despite there being a name misspelling.

I could tell that there was a misspelling based on the PlusPoints deduction activity in my MP account history that listed the misspelled name, hence my suspicion that the error that the phone agent was seeing was because of the name mismatch.