FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United & Boeing: string of bad luck, or something else
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:22 am
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
What seems like just a few years ago but actually (according to my FlightMemory) was 10 years, 1 month, and 13 days ago I was on a UAX Q400 into RDU (N34NG) when about 20 minutes out the flight deck made the announcement that we'd be "Landing Normally" in about 20 minutes and then after a long pause "however, we've lost hydraulic pressure so we won't have any brakes on landing...so it might be a bit bumpy. We should be able to stop...Please follow your flight attendant's instructions."

Landing was relatively uneventful but a lot more bouncing/shuddering than I expected. Came to a stop on the runway and breathed easy until I heard a child somewhere behind me (I was in 2D) yell "Mommy, what is that fireman doing to the wing?!?" -- but otherwise we got towed into the gate and aside from some media at baggage claim looking for "harrowing stories" that was the end of that.

The FAA Service Difficulty Report System entry for that event noted
DURING APPROACH, NR 1 HYDRAULIC ISOLATION VALVE CAUTION LIGHT ILLUMINATED ON THE CAUTION AND WARNING PANEL. FOLLOWED QRH AND PERFORMED A NO-BRAKE LANDING. EMERGENCY WAS DECLARED. LANDED SAFELY. FOUND NR 1 HYD SYSTEM FLUID NEARLY DEPLETED. SYSTEM SERVICED AND ACFT DISPATCHED. FLUID LOST AGAIN ON A SUBSEQUENT FLIGHT AND TROUBLESHOOTING FOUND LEAKING PRESSURE LINE. REMOVED AND REPLACED PER AMM 20-20-11. OPS AND LEAK CHECKED GOOD.
That was my first (and only) declared emergency in 34 years of flying, and my last (not necessarily intentionally) Q400 flight