FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:39 pm
misterfuss

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
what is united's policy on standbys with checked luggage?

Our situation - flying CDG to IAD to RDU - two options for the IAD to RDU leg - option A = 6 hour connection option B = 1 hr 50min connection.
If we book the longer connection and make it through customs and immigration on time, can we fly standby for even if we have checked baggage? (we have no status with united - I tried this as gold with American and they said they couldn't bc we had checked bags)
Is there a fee to do so?
If we are able to do this, what are the odds our bags will be on our flight? Not a big deal as I only live a few miles from the airport in RDU - could drop my wife and daughter at home, then come back and grab bags if on the second flight.

thanks
You have to pick up your bags at the first airport in the United States after arriving from most international airports (arrivals from Canada and Ireland are exceptions that I know of.).

After you clear customs and immigration, you normally drop your bags off to be re-checked. If I recall correctly, there are a few agents there who assist with rebooking possible misconceptions. Instead of just dropping your bags off, I would speak with the agent to get on the standby list and get your bags retagged for the earlier flight. Since your bags will pass through a CTX machine, your bags are generally allowed to be put on a domestic US flight even if you don’t get onboard.