FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let the Mileage Run Games Begin! (2024)
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:55 pm
Repooc17
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
How I spent the 13th of February:

LAX to FLL (AS380 scheduled 1055am-649pm)

Checked out at Sheraton LAX around 950am, leisurely strolled to T6 at around 1010am. Spend maybe 5 minutes in the terminal including security. Boarded on schedule at 1015am.

Arrived at FLL 11 minutes early 638pm. Arrived early enough the boarding door at the next gate (a different aircraft of course) was still open heading back to LAX.

FLL to SFO (AS371 scheduled 759pm-1121pm)

Same aircraft from the LAX inbound. We pushed back 9 minutes early, at 750pm; could have pushed even earlier due to the light load and fast boarding.

Taxi took a bit longer, but we were in the air about 20 minutes after. I was glued to the FR24 app almost the entire flight, and despite the strong headwind, we were making good time on the way to SFO.

As per my earlier posts, I had a separate itinerary on UA. Originally scheduled for 1145pm, but pushed earlier by 10 minutes, to 1135pm - the implication of earlier scheduled departure, with door closure normally at 15 minutes, I needed to be at the UA gate by 1120pm.

At the time of the arrival at SFO, arrival traffic has died down considerably, so the impacted closure of 28L runway was largely negated.

Boarding for the UA flight started while AS371 was still around the Modesto area, at 1046pm.

AS371 landed at 1101pm on runway 28R. Quickly exited runway, waited for clearance to cross closed 28L, and parked at gate 3 minutes after - would not have had such the short taxi time at any other terminal/concourse.

By the time we deplaned at D10 gate, it was around 1106pm, meaning I had 14 minutes to get across to T3 F gates (F22). I speed walked through the corridor between D and E gates, then E and F gates, the bouncy walkway to F gates helped, I got to F22 at 1116pm, merely 4 minutes prior to door closure, asked for a cup of water and located my seat. I was the last pax on board.

Pretty much everything worked in my favor. I would not be able to replicate it...for example, in looking at those same flights for today, AS380 arriving late, AS371 departing late and not scheduled to arrive until after that UA flight departure, never mind door closure time.