FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive eUpgrade Resource (2024 onwards) [read wiki BEFORE asking question]
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:51 am
TheCanuckian

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by CFA in YHZ
First time poster, long time lurker. Is there any reason why upgrade to J would show as "not available" when there still are multiple seats left unsold? I'm 50k, flying YHZ-ICN via YYZ on a paid PY fare, with plenty of credits left to upgrade this trip. While I can put in upgrade request for YHZ-YYZ legs for both departure and return, YYZ-ICN legs are showing up as being unavailable--this was not the case when I checked last week. EF shows J4 for departure and J8 for return--R is zero, as usual. My departure is in a couple of weeks and my return about a week after that.
AC makes R space available in ways that are mysterious and unpredictable. So they may open up R space before the gate or they may not. Essentially, if they think they can sell those seats, they probably won't open them for upgrade until they have greater certainty they won't sell them. But the plane won't go out with people on the upgrade list and empty seats in J. So if you submit your request and there are still seats available an hour from departure, you will get upgraded.