FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - eSIM thread
Thread: eSIM thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2024, 4:57 am
frappant

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I arrived in Singapore Sunday afternoon.

Singtel has an app in which you are suppose to be able to register and activate an eSIM entirely online. Well their stores are closed Sundays so I went for it.

You actually have to order the eSIM on their website and then it sends you a link to register, including uploading your passport. Otherwise, the app is asking for your number to get started.

So I went through the app on my iPad but then failed trying to scan my passport, because of the location of the cameras on the iPad. It's one of those things where if you center the passport page with your photo on a square, it automatically captures.

But all kinds of problems with reflections and it wasn't even focusing on the text. I could never get it to work. BTW, the app is an iPhone app so it's a think vertical bar on the iPad in landscape.

So I installed the app on my iPhone and went through it and this time it worked. They process for about 5 minutes before telling you if registration was successful. Once that's successful, they email you a link to install the eSIM, not a QR code.

So I opened the link on my iPad and it installed the eSIM fine.

I went for the 4G instead of the 5G, both give 100 GB of data but it's 12 SGD vs. 30 SGD. Only here for 4 nights and figured a premier network like Singtel would have LTE speeds.

Well I'm on the 55th floor and initially the speeds were weak, under 10 Mbps. Oddly there's better reception towards the door rather than the terrace. So maybe Singtel put a repeated inside the building? But near the door of the hotel room, it's over 84 Mbps.