FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:02 pm
CMTinPHL

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't see why not. It is hidden city ticketing, which is prohibited by the CoC.

Whether AA can figure it out and has, I am not sure. The shutdown datapoints are few and far between (and often with evolving stories). Personally, I wouldn't risk making a habit of it.
I’ve thrown away the last leg of an award ticket three times in about the last 6 or 7 years. Always after an international flight, requiring the clearing of customs, etc. No repercussions from AA. Just don’t show up for the connection. As said above, I don’t make it a habit. I actually did it today. Originally ticketed DOH-BOS-PHL, a schedule change forced it to DOH-BOS-DCA-PHL. BOS-PHL flight (which I would have made) was sold out. I took the Acela instead of connecting through DCA with a 3 hour layover. AAngels in AC actually cancelled the BOS-DCA-PHL flights for me after I could not get on the direct flight. I know these are different facts than the OP’s situation, but the advice remains the same - don’t make it a habit, and AA likely will not care.