FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:49 am
salut0

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Can’t figure out from this FAQ how to upgrade using Avios.

I bought two tickets LHR-TLV r/t — one was a WT+ both ways because there was the discount bucket available on both legs.

The other is a separate PNR where the return leg (TLV-LHR) is WT HBO because buying WT+ for both legs in one PNR somehow pushed both tickets into the W bucket which was massively more expensive and even the one ticket coming back in WT+ was much higher.

Now I’d like to try to upgrade the WT leg TLV-LHR so the two travelers can sit together but if only full fare paid WT+ buckets are available I assume that means they won’t have upgrade availability.

POUG on the app shows the full fare difference between WT and full fare WT+ on that sector so clearly that’s useless.

Could hold out for an AUP at the airport but since these are elderly passengers they won’t want to pay for it themselves and I won’t be there to help them.

Also, if I do UuA I’d like to use my own Avios not the passenger. Can I just transfer them to the passengers BA account? Or do Gold members (me not the passengers) get more upgrade availability or better prices?

Finally, if I want to use expertFlyer to watch the segment and alert me if an upgrade space pops up, can I do that? Wasn’t sure which bucket to search for or if it’s even possible.

Any workarounds?

PS to make this even more fun — since it’s TLV the flights may get canned. If so, do I get back the miles and the money and everything I lay out?