FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:57 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
But there is. Just look at the fare calculation.
I stated that I understood what you were saying. I did.

If it is is something like AAA UA X/BBB XX CCC, then it is a through fare. If it is broken up and is additive (AAA to BBB, then BBB to CCC), then it is just that.
I don’t disagree. However, it doesn’t mean that it would not have been a different price if all segments could be confirmed into I. We have absolutely no idea what considerations go into the pricing. There are no charts; the I through fare can be picked at any level UA feels at any time. And, yes, I’ve seen different prices for I fares on the same route on the same date at the same time. I know that it’s an article of faith around here that there are “hidden charts” that guide the prices of I inventory, and I understand that I is often offered at a given price that looks a lot like there’s a chart. But if there were a chart, there should never be any counterexamples.

Also, one letter fare code is generally the normal ("saver" - which still does show up so on the UA site also, BTW) fare, while two-letter one is higher. So if you book X-fare (one letter X) on a UA flight and have I-fare (one letter I) on UA or another *A airline, then the X-fare segment is eligible for waitlisting, as the X-fare segment is in the normal ("saver") fare class, same as the O-fare segment.

The problem is that most UA res agents and supervisors have no clue of what they are doing. They can't even read and comprehend the fare calculation!
The fare calculation is a red herring. Even if you were on a broken fare, you should be able to waitlist for I on any segment where you have X — the question is just what to charge you. You’re making the case that it should be zero on a through fare, and I’d agree with you if there were still a chart.

That being said, I most definitely do not expect this wait-listing program to be continued. I've said so before. It's a relic of better days in the [getting more and more distant] past, which exactly as you say, will be removed the moment someone at UA who knows what they are doing notices that it is still so published and updates the site.
Dynamic pricing. It took longer than I expected, but it’s gotten pretty much as bad as I thought when they first announced it.