FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Utah and Colorado - What to see and do?" thread
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:36 am
azepine00
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Thanks everyone who helped me evolve my thinking. Here is Version 2 of the Great Spring Road Trip to Moab et al. Remember that we can do very little hiking.

Day 1, Drive from SLC to Moab, UT and on the way see Islands in the Sky part of Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point SP
Day 2, Arches NP and then drive to Blanding, Utah, seeing The Needles part of Canyonlands (just doing the paved road and stopping at overlooks)
Day 3, Edge of the Cedars SP, Bears Ears NM, Natural Bridges NM, Goosenecks SP, and Valley of the Gods, returning to Blanding (or maybe Monticello)
Day 4, Go to Grand Junction via scenic route (Colorado 141) and do Colorado National Monument. Stay in Grand Junction.
Day 5, Return to SLC scenically via Utah highways 10 and 31 and US 89.

Note that this cuts out Cortez, CO and Mesa Verde. We plan to do this trip in late March (before Moab gets crazy with tourists), so it just seemed the wrong time of the year for that leg. It also cuts out the Million Dollar highway loop, replacing it with CO 141 and Colorado NM.

Again, feedback is very much welcomed.
perhaps decide on plans after day 3 based on the weather - 141 will not be pleasant if it rains and to my recollection mud and rocks can wash on the road in some places.. stay in bluff on nt 3 (bluff dwellings) then you can either go to torrey via hite crossing if the weather is iffy (open roads both panoramic and canyon scenery and likely dry even when it rains in CO) and can stay at capitol reef lodge on nt 4, or if it is late spring warm you can go through co 141 and perhaps stay at gateway canyons hotel rather than grand junction

on day 1 and 2 i would suggests one sunset at dead horse overlook and one over dinner at red cliffs lodge.. you can stay both nts in moab or mix moab, red cliffs lodge or castle valley b&b options.. day 3 morning explore moab area more before driving south to bluff..

in general for someone who has never been i would consider all 5 days in moab area - there are many day and side trips to keep you occupied and distances are significant...