FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Flight Had to Stop for Gas?!
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:20 pm
Hipplewm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by livinloose
This is a first for me…I am on AS 1443, was supposed to be a direct flight from Cancun to Seattle - normally a 6 hour flight. They are using a 737-800. After we checked our bags in Cancun we were told the flight will be stopping in San Diego to refuel. Once we get on the airplane the pilot says that this aircraft is not certified to fly directly over the Gulf of Mexico, and that combined with strong winds are the reason we have to stop in San Diego to refuel and change the pilots out as they are timing out. I have a nine month old with me, and 6 hours was already pushing his limits, now this looks to be a 10 hour flight or longer. This seems incredibly egregious on Alaska’s part. What do you think reasonable compensation is for this?

I would think stopping for gas would be a high priority item for you - to me it seems like the better option to running out of gas at 35,000ft.

Compensation is you bought a ticket and they are getting you from point A to point B - if they fail to get you to Point B - come back and we can diagnose the issues. If you were in Europe, with extremely strong laws to protect passengers you would still be due nothing because of high winds. Sending a non etops plane may get you out of it, but if that plane could make it wqithout the winds then you would definitely get Zero there as well.