FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA's South American Network from MIA
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:11 pm
futuramadramallama

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by jamiel
Exactly right---757 was the perfect aircraft for high/hot/thin, 767 was appropriately sized for thin/long/premium/cargo, both were depreciated enough to be able to sit on the ground for 12 hours....dropping those from the fleet exposed the holes in the MIA hub (and you have to remember the opportunity cost...a 787 sent, say to LPB is a "wasted" premium experience, a DFW-LHR rotation that DIDN'T get flown----etc etc. )
Can the 757 do cargo, containerised or otherwise? I understand the 737 can't, and they have similar fuselage-designs.

Originally Posted by Antarius
It is possible - LHR T5 is entirely containerized for baggage, for example. By type, the a320 series can take containers, while the 737 can't.

That said, the a321XLR does not really have any cargo capacity due to the additional fuel tanks.
Ohhh, this is fascinating. Perhaps this is one reason an operator might choose an A320 over a 737. (Also price, terms, maintenance and spare parts network, incentives, etc.)

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Oh THIS I can't argue with. The interlining, IT systems, inability to check a line of 5 people in in under an hour, is something that I feel like is baked into the experience. The attempt by GOL to ask the OP here to pay $2800 for their mistake is ridiculous, and exactly what I would expect.

I guess I'm talking more either about just the IFS or about when everything goes right.
Ah yes. Glad you can empathise with the OP's story, and I see what you mean about IFS being mostly the same.

Is the inability to check-in 5-people-in-under-an-hour a GOL thing, a Brazilian thing, a South American thing, or otherwise?

I reckon it's not necessarily an LCC thing. Using Ryanair and Air Asia as two arbitrary examples, Ryanair tries to "encourage" passengers to perform all check-in formalities ahead of time and print their own boarding pass (via levying a penalty-fee to check in at the airport, a penalty-fee to reprint a boarding pass, and a penalty-fee to ask whether the flight is on time). AirAsia has self-tag and self-drop luggage at some larger stations. This is not to say they're each necessarily fast at check-in, but on paper these seem like structural features they've each added to try to check in as many passengers as possible while using limited airport staff.