FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2024]
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:34 pm
HeadInTheClouds

Originally Posted by everythingcounts
I know the answer to this probably seems obvious to most people here, so apologies in advance. I've read the Wiki and a ton of posts, and maybe I'm just slow today, but I can't figure this out.

I'm new GS (so new that they haven't even contacted me about it; I just saw when I went to book a flight) and 1MM. I have to be in Lisbon on business in early March. Will pay cash for my ticket. I'd like to bring my wife, who is GS because of my status and MM. I've got lots of PP, and some miles. We're not wealthy, but we could also afford to pay cash for an Economy ticket for her, but I don't want her to fly in Economy seats. I assume it won't matter that we would be on different PNRs.

It's looking like exactly none of the flights I'm looking at have PN availability. In fact, most of them don't show "PN0" but just don't show PN or PZ at all.

So what are my options? I don't really get this "forcing" concept, and I really don't understand how they just don't show PN or PZ at all. Thanks for any advice.
Originally Posted by pmcue
As GS, if you book Business and pay cash, you can upgrade a companion using either miles or PP Confirmed 1 way. Just call the GS Number to book it. Also, you can nominate your wife for GS and she will have same benefits.
Couple caveats here - you can confirm one segment only, not the full one way if it involves a connection. Also, you need to have 3 (or 4?) seats left for sale after the upgrade is confirmed.

My usual strategy is to try to use miles, and book one way in coach one way in business, whichever combination is cheaper. Then use the PP companion upgrade on the coach Polaris segment. Even with a connection, that should net you out to 3 out of 4 segments in business/first.
Originally Posted by everythingcounts
It's looking like exactly none of the flights I'm looking at have PN availability. In fact, most of them don't show "PN0" but just don't show PN or PZ at all.
This sounds like you don't have expert mode enabled in your profile on united.com maybe? It can be fickle and turn off randomly. But it's easy enough to re-enable if that happens.