FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA's South American Network from MIA
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:01 pm
M60_to_LGA

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
AA pulled out of Paraguay years ago when the government there began mandating a 5% commission be paid to travel agents. ASU was always a connecting flight on AA metal from its MIA-GRU-MIA service. You never officially entered Brazil at GRU. AA returned in 2012 with four-time weekly 757 non-stop service from MIA. That lasted about two years. Despite talk of bringing ASU back to AA's route network seasonally, it never happened.

Work has taken me to Paraguay several times. I love the place. If you're not from neighboring Brazil or Argentina, you're still enough of a novelty that they make a big fuss over you.
Really? I was there once, and no one seemed that interested in me. Now I feel undesirable.

Asunción is a pleasant enough city. I had come by bus through the Chaco after a couple of weeks of semi-roughing it in Bolivia, so the city seemed like a paradise to me at that point. The botanic gardens were quite lovely. Some nice museums and historic sites. I really loved the Jesuit ruins at Trinidad and Jesús.