FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2024 PVG SFO award flight, tried with Avianca/ANA
Old Dec 25, 2023, 9:54 am
yinxzon

Originally Posted by moondog
I'd hardly call 90k nh miles plus $500 in order to fly from SFO to PVG via MNL with long layovers a "hidden gem". JL via AA for 60k each way in biz is a good deal, but you might need to tack on TYO-SHA as a separate ticket (not expensive).
Originally Posted by yitianjian
Just curious, do you tend to book this via miles or cash? I've noticed cash via ANA/JAL/MU can be very expensive for one way routings especially routing through HND.

Have JAL booked RT to TYO, but looking for the last gap. $450 USD for RT econ ex-TYO seems to be the floor-ish. I suppose there's ULCCs, but lack of luggage hurts for the China return.
I dont really agree..
1) Please explain how you obained the AA miles (Is it via BILT? which I dont have)? That is a lot if you just fly AA.
2) You are right 95k on an old business product isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but how much taxes are you paying for the JAL product anyway? You are talking about 120-95=35K difference in miles and the taxes given the taxes on Philippines Airlines is similar to the economy seats you are buying on PVG-HND RT. I would say its a wash. Even if there is a slight edge to JAL I dont have the AA miles.
3) I think if you can score an ANA or Asiana PVG-SFO for 95K+500 USD it would be better option to both 1 and 2, I got the going one after calling a bunch but the return is reallly really hard to find. On the contrary, Philippine Airline was readily available. There is really no availability anywhere else. LifeMiles is pretty good. Problem like ANA/Asiana is availability.
Agreed? Or am I missing something...