FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "I’ll do my best but we’re not Emirates...”
Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:58 pm
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SW7London
Thank you SFO777 for another excellent trip report! Out of interest was the F cabin full? I wonder why QF F service is so slow, maybe a post covid thing as I cant remember this being the case pre 2020. Do they still have 3 FAs dedicated to First? (2 serving + 1 in the galley?) On CX the used to have 3 FAs(for 6 seats) and they've now reduced it to two and the service is noticeably slower. You lucked out getting the only unfurnished A380, although the poor boarding experience and business class food is a problem on any QF F flight!
Thanks SW7London. The cabin was a full 14 pax. Not sure about staffing as I was in 1A and oblivious to the rest of the cabin, but at one point after a prolonged time without service, I did walk back to the galley and only saw our serving FA and a galley FA.

Originally Posted by og
For the last 20 years QF long haul J service has been slow. Expect an hour for the first drinks service. Expect another hour before any meals appear. Crew will say to push the call button but this usually gets a scowl or nothing at all. Of course the mates of the crew miraculously get a quick drink appearing out of nowhere. And as for the all night galley parties, its crew and their mates only invited.
Thank you og. Interesting. I do recall a LAX-SYD J flight nearly 5 years ago. Others in the cabin were served a drink after take-off and I wasn't. Here are my notes from March 2019 which seem consistent with your experience.

"... We're now 45 minutes into the flight and there was no sign of drink service, at least for me. I looked over and saw drink service for the middle pair of seats in row 11 and the right pair of seats. I flagged down the same purser that told me about the IFE reboot and asked him about the lack of drink service. He replied that the crew was preparing service for the cabin. When I noted that others had drinks and indeed table cloths, he said that they had ordered Express supper selections so they get served first. Say what?? They get served their meal before drinks for the rest of the cabin? He did offer to bring me a drink straight away... and please close my shades as it will be morning in Sydney when we arrive..."