FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Necessity of Travel Insurance when Paying with a Credit Card
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:59 am
chgoeditor
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk! The likely answer is: It depends. It depends on what credit cards you hold, where you reside, how you're paying for your trip, where you're going and what you'll be doing. Your best bet is to read each card's travel insurance policy carefully, then compare its benefits to the benefits (and cost) of a standalone travel insurance policy.

While I haven't personally used the travel insurance benefits for any of my credit cards, I have used other insurance-like benefits, and IMHO the level of coverage but also the level of headaches can vary. For example, I had multiple cards that had purchase protection insurance and extended warranty coverage. Basically, if I lost or broke a product within 60 days of purchasing something on the card, it would be repaired or replaced. And, the warranty was doubled, for up to a year.

American Express:
  • Me: "I had a picture framed, then dropped the frame on the way home and it broke." Amex: "Oops, send us a picture of the frame and copy of the receipt, and we'll credit the purchase price back to you so it can be replaced."
  • Me: "My printer stopped working and it's 1 month past the end of the manufacturer's warranty. Amex: "That's too bad. Send us the receipt and a copy of the warranty and we'll credit you the purchase price."

Discover:
  • Me: "I bought a new bathroom medicine cabinet, and when I was attaching the mirrored door, the mirror cracked. Discover: "That's unfortunate. Please send us three estimates for the cost of repairing the mirror." Me: "Um, there's no one who can repair or replace the mirror. Discover: "Please continue to respond to absurd requests until we decide whether to cover it."
Another card (can't remember which one):
  • Me: "My fitbit broke just outside of the manufacturer's warranty." Them: "Please provide us with a repair estimate on letterhead of an authorized repair center." Me: "There is not repair center. Fitbit doesn't make their watches repairable." Them: "We can't make a decision until we have a repair estimate."