FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is your travel OCD?
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2023, 6:23 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suppose it's relevant to mention an OCD behavior of others that those of us who are experienced at purchasing travel products are often exposed to. Friends and family frequently ask me for advice on whether to lock in flights now or wait.

For example, a friend of mine wants to get an NYC-HKG rt for his daughter in March on relatively fixed dates and he has a myriad of rules about acceptable routings/airlines.

He complained to me that $3,000 for CX nonstops is too expensive. I agreed, and told him that price will probably come down; furthermore, Brother Google agrees (it's always nice to be able to pass the buck).

But, due to his OCD, he interpreted "the price will probably come down" as a recommendation from me to "buy now".

I simply said, "okay" because I don't want to risk being chewed out in the event his target flights happen to increase in price or sell out (e.g. it's theoretically possible that an entire youth soccer team with parents and coaches in tow could buy ~75 tickets).

However, I saved screen shots of our conversation, which I expect I'll need to pull up in early February when the same flights are selling for $1200 and he complains about my awful advice.
​​​​​