FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the grass geener somewhere else - thoughts on defecting from AAdvantage
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:01 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Thanks everyone!

Wife is a premier silver and there have been a few times where nothing is left when OLCI opens but usually something opens up as people get upgraded to F.

I find UA, AA and DL business to all be unimpressive (I have not flown DL long haul for a while but the vegetarian meal they served me about 5 years ago will remain in my memory for some time - basically a piece of lettuce and some carrots) but find UA the best of the 3.
At the end of the day if I am paying for long haul J I'm paying for the seat so I can be comfortable and sleep. Everything else is just a minor add-on. I don't notice a big difference between US and foreign carriers. UA probably has the best seat out of the ones I've tried but the others are good too.

People complain a lot about AA service but I've never once had an issue beyond the occasional indifferent FA (which I've also had on other US airlines -- that's the one thing that's less common outside the US). And I've had more great FAs then indifferent ones, on all airlines.

In fact, AA has always been willing to rebook me (even beyond what their policy allows) when I requested it, and once even allowed me to keep the value of a cancelled BE ticket. Having said that I've also had good service from UA; an agent once called her help desk to open up space for me so I could SDC, and I wasn't even 1k or anything.

I always look at complaints about bad service with a grain of salt. I have no other evidence that I'm the luckiest person in the world, so sometimes I just wonder if the complainers have unreasonable standards.