FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA limiting the number of awards available to AAdvantage (and other partners)
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:41 am
craigthemif
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Furby
Then you are missing the bigger picture. The cost of accumulating Avios is very inexpensive in comparison to accumulating AA miles due to the larger credit card bonuses that are available more frequently than AA bonuses, and the ability to transfer in from other programs also offering larger bonuses. The Avios required for a BA flight is typically less than half that required for equivalent AA flights and frequently much less than that. Availability on BA is far superior. When you consider all of that you will find that the $1,000 in fuel surcharges for a J class flight is actually a very good deal. It’s all about the total cost of accumulating the miles plus surcharges, not just the surcharges.
People in the UK just look at it as "I'm flying in refundable J for the cash price of non-refundable Y". Miles / Avios are just something you get from business travel, credit cards and shopping. Add the guaranteed award space on every flight and it's a fair deal overall. (one that BA would never allow without surcharges on award tickets)

In any event, I have learned that the "surcharges are outrageous, I'm never flying BA/VS/LH/etc." crowd can't be convinced. Let them moan and look for unicorns (international premium cabins on AA, DL, etc.), keeping BA's inventory open for the rest of us.