FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond MQM waiver threshold question, and new Delta Skymiles program
Old Oct 28, 2023, 8:44 am
JCWCVG

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Diamond MQM waiver threshold question, and new Delta Skymiles program

With all the changes next year, looking for guidance from the community. As a 2MM I will now have complimentary Platinum. After being Diamond for about 7 years, I dropped in 2023 since I could not hit MQD due to lack of business travel post Covid. Trying to see if I can manufacture Diamond for 2 more years with the following approach:
Currently at ~$125K Reserve AMEX spend against Diamond Waiver
250K in MQMs
Is it possible to overpay estimated federal taxes in December $125K to hit the MQM threshold for Diamond. Yes I would pay 1.87% fee.
File taxes in February, get quick refund....my personal quick calculation of fed income tax due will be $25K, so I will get $100K refund. That would come directly back to me from IRS.

Assuming the approach above works, I will deduct 125K MQMs to make Diamond in 2023 for 2024. Then use 100K MQM in 2024 to maintain Diamond for 2025. After that, either my travel for business picks up or I stay complimentary Platinum as long as Delta still provides the benefit.

Will this work and is my logic for 2025 extenstion valid?