FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC files suit against seats.aero
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:53 am
jerseytom

Programs: AA
Having perused through the document... AC says they tried several (unsuccessful) different ways of mitigating data scraping. 3rd party just changed their approach. Yatta yatta.

During all of this... did AC ever reach out and say, "Hey ya gotta stop" or any sort of communication? Or did they burn a bunch of time and money on unsuccessful internal solutions and now escalate to lawsuit?

I'm a software guy but desktop only; I don't know much about web API's or what's legal or not with data scraping. Naively, I feel like I'd be in a position of, "Sure, they changed their interface, and I changed with it; nobody reached out to ask me to stop 🤷‍♂️."

Regardless, from a practical standpoint there's the question of (a) how to deal with points brokers and (b) how to facilitate legitimate customers like ourselves trying to make the most of partner awards etc.

I don't have enough hands-on experience to know how to deal with (a). For the second bit though, if AC acknowledges that trying to do calendar views etc. has caused some unhappy phone calls from Partner XYZ, is this something where at an alliance level these companies need to get with the 21st century and figure out how to facilitate these things?