FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites
Old Oct 15, 2023, 11:15 am
purdue1015

Hi All,

Looking for clarification that my understanding of the below is correct. It's rare I can book a YBM fare in policy through my corporate OTA so I haven't had much experience with this.

On Tuesday I am flying A-B-C. Would like to take the exact same flight/routing on Monday--exactly 24 hours earlier.

Originally booked a B class fare and hit the auto upgrade button and got confirmed F in PN.

The (Monday) flight I would like to take has J1 PN0 B3.

1) SDC to same fare class is not an option right? Because what I want to change to is exactly 24 hours prior to my current confirmed departure.

It looks like I can pay $189 to re-ticket to the Monday departure in B fare class.

2) Catch is there is no PN space so auto-upgrade would NOT be available, right? I would just be added to upgrade list (albeit at a higher priority) like normal, right?

3) Is this same reason why at time of booking I was able to confirm auto upgrade from B - C (probably, PN space was available at that time), but not for A - B? Took a few weeks for me to see the auto upgrade button appear for A - B.

I have only ever SDCed to a later flight, never an earlier flight.

4) Is there any trick to SDCing to a flight that is close to (or as close as you can get) to 24 hours BEFORE your current departure time? Thinking out loud here, but it'd seem like the earliest you could SDC to would be -22 hours ish as one would have to allow for time to get to airport, TSA, etc.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!