FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your IHG Rewards Experiences 2023
Old Oct 8, 2023, 6:09 am
FLYGVA
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Holiday Inn Düsseldorf City North

Holiday Inn Düsseldorf City North

What is your Priority Club status?

Diamond

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
In general yes.

Only needed a room for the night. I spent the evening after 14+ hour days in my office rather in a hotel in Düsseldorf than commuting. I have visited the hotel in the past frequently, but they nearly drove me away as points never posted and they had insisted I need to book a point package rate to get the points. In the end I put them on my no-stay list.

After a renovation and nearly 10 years after my last stay, I though it might be okay to try them. Usually, this hotel is more expensive than the new Holiday Inn Express Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof, but not so this time.

The subway stop Heinrichtstraße is less than five minutes to walk (there is a short cut via Mercedes car dealer) and the S-Bahn stop Düsseldorf Derendorf is also less than five minutes to walk.

Check-In was quick as only one guest was ahead of me but did not move away and blocked the counter while texting on his phone. So, the agent switched to the other desk checking me in. He thanked me for my status and since my least stay was no longer in their system issued both voucher for a free drink and the Welcome Points. I also received two bottles of water.

Rooms facing the street could be noisy till midnight.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked Standard Room and received exactly the same as there is only this category

How are the rooms?
The hotel was the first Holiday Inn Express in Düsseldorf and opened mid-2004. I underwent a soft refurbishment, but you recognize the old layout / design.

My room was located on the fifth floor. The small movable desk did its job for some last-minute work in the evening, but it is for sure not the best way for working longer or writing extensive meeting minutes. I was told they still have some room with the old desk.

The furniture seems to be a mix of old furniture and newer ones like lounge-chair, table, while the small wardrobe in the floor is still the old one. There is no safe

The bathroom was redone and instead of the shower curtain there is now a glass door. The smaller part of the mirror behind the sink is now heated. Shower gel and shampoo were wall mounted. A kettle was available.

Sockets were next to the bed. The number of USB Chargers could have more.

Breakfast starts at 06:00 on weekdays and on weekends. A selection of rolls and croissant, cheese and salami. Yoghurt and Cereals, but no scrambled eggs, only boiled eggs were available. Not a huge selection and also regarding quality (espeically fruit and cheese) below what I have had in another European Holiday Inn Express. To me, cost cutting. On a positive note, everything was ready at 05:50.

The lobby is smaller and there are a couple of chairs and a small workplaces. A bar serves beer, wine. No food is available. The bar is sometimes served by staff at the check in desk, which means there could be some waiting time.

The flexible rate was 115 EUR; I paid by using 17.000 points, which was to me the better option.

Points posted this time after only two days. Despite not charged to my room (was told, could not be done on points booking) I received points for my beer in addition to the welcome points.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

What was good and what was bad?
Good
Good connection to public transport
Refurbished room
Got beverage voucher and points (but only this time)
Windows could be opened

Neutral
no real desk (but there are rooms with reals desk)
Number of USB outlets

Bad
Breakfast

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Value for points was okay, value for money regarding rates at other hotels as well. I had low expectations, and this time was not disappointed. I do not care about breakfast, but this is a weak point. You notice / recognize the older HIX style layout and part of the furniture, but other than this, it is an okay hotel. A bit further away, but depending on where you need to be, still in a good place. Might be even better located to reach the airport than the new HIX Düsseldorf Airport.

Holiday Inn Express Düsseldorf City North / Room

Holiday Inn Express Düsseldorf City North / Bathoom

Holiday Inn Express Düsseldorf City North / Bathoom

Holiday Inn Express Düsseldorf City North / Breakfast

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 8, 2023 at 6:15 am