FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SAS to leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam [eff. 01 Sep 2024]
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:28 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
Yep, LH group has their own check-in at CPH T2. Aviator is their ground handling agent.

I know we are getting there but it is still sad to think that as consumers we have very little alternatives. It's so fixed in Japan with 2 major players - domestic terminals in KIX, HND, CTS, OKA have 2 sides - one for JAL and the other for ANA. They do have subsidiaries like Air DO works with ANA.

ST is useless in Japan especially if you are mostly flying domestic (there are so many international airlines flying to and from Japan) - unlike Taiwan - CL is ST, EVA is *A and Starlux is thinking about joining OW, so they are fully covered by all 3 alliances. Korea, on the other hand, once OZ is merged with KE, ST is the only alliance there. Apart from Seoul/TPE, PVG is also a ST hub too.

What about LH flying into NGO? I remember our flight was like 10am or something. I kind of recall that most long haul flights leave around that time.

In Europe we still have TK (I see TK as European as IST is on the European side) and A3. LOT is kind of part of LH (at least the M&M part) but they seem to have more autonomy than LX SN and OS. TK and LO are the only 2 airlines that I prefer flying because they don't have the crappy HBO/Y- fare for long haul flights.
TK and A3 are not really useful intra Europe, which you could also argue for TP and Air Europe. And A3 does not fly long haul. While TK and the ME3 offers a lot of long haul options, who would want to use them Scandinavia to the US? So yeah, SK does move from slightly independent player to part of a transatlantic JV. So you increase the blocs a bit, but not significantly so, does SK even have long haul planes enough to operate LH's daily New York schedule?