FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?
Old Sep 23, 2023, 9:04 am
zombietooth

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
Definitely more like 2% for me (can think of ~4 requests in about 200 segments), plus another 2% pax who are in my seat by legitimate accident and move without complaint (I think the letter scheme for 2-2 F confuses people). I have declined requests, but I don't think I have ever seen anything outrageous like the stories here. Perhaps the most amusing was when my wife and I were in 2D/G on a 77G and the middle pax thought they were being helpful by asking to swap out of the middle

Don't know if it would be more common in Y.
Very few seat change requests for me in my over 4 million miles of flying but, I've had to deal with several seat poaching attempts, where pax wouldn't leave on my request and tried to talk their way into my seat. Oddly, the most egregious were those who claimed to have a disability and "needed" my seat and, in more than one instance, an F seat over a Y seat no less. I've never yielded to any of these poachers and have firmly stood my ground and ordered them to leave in every instance. I think that some travel blogger had been successful with this technique many years ago-you know those articles with titles like, "10 Genius Travel Hacks That'll Get You A First Class Seat For Free", and so it was a thing for a while.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 23, 2023 at 11:21 pm