FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:12 am
SnowBees

Is there an official minimum connection time for Domestic- International Connection or it is 90 min, the reverse of International-Domestic as per the sticky? I noticed 3 hours often mentioned, including one post saying that is the minimum connection time insurance companies require but can't find anything official.

I'm asking due to a quandary with a BA booking. I'm trying to book the home leg of an open jaw trip; PLZ-JNB-LHR-MAN, which was available on BA.com until a couple of weeks ago but now not coming up as an option with the PLZ-JNB leg appearing to be the problem. The flight was previously provisioned via Airlink and I can see the flights, including BA codeshare, are still operating so assumed it's another BA IT glitch. BA twitter support say they aren't offering the route, BA Chat says they are but to make a phone booking, I can't currently get through on the phone...

It will be weekend before I can hang on a phone line indefinitely in the hope of getting a competent agent so am tempted to book JNB-LHR-MAN as part of my BA booking online (which it will let me do) and separately book PLZ-JNB directly with Airlink. The risk of this, being on separate tickets, I'd have 2hrs 20 mins if all on time, arriving from PLZ at 17:25 and BA departing for LHR at 19:45.

Reading the thread it sounds like I could ask Airlink if they'd check my bags through from PLZ which would reduce the transiting time, but no guarantee they'd actually do that on the day.

There is a later BA JNB-LHR flight at 22:15 but I don't fancy 5 hrs wait, I'll be on my own plus the pilfering risk for luggage left awaiting loading.

Sorry for the lengthy post and if anyone has gotten this far, any advice or experience would be much appreciated, especially with what would be considered official MCT if something did go wrong.

Thanks!