FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A short trip to the Emerald Isle
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2023, 5:11 am
offerendum
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some
Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud

Patrick Guilbaud's restaurant is located in the Merrion. It has been awarded 2 Michelin stars for many years. Even as a hotel guest, it was not easy to get a table.
The start of the evening was suboptimal. We waited with a larger group of other guests in front of the restaurant until one by one we were picked up. That was somehow undignified, it could have been organised much better.
When you enter, you first go through a bar (not the hotel bar). We were offered to have a drink there, but like all the guests we declined. I have the feeling that these bars often have no real function and are only sparsely used.
The restaurant itself is nicely decorated, with a very high ceiling. I don't have any photos of the dining room. The tables had a nice decoration.

Is there no water in Ireland or why do they import it from Italy?

Amuse Bouche

We opted for the 8-course Tasting Menu, which is designed as a surprise menu.
Heritage Tomato Salad, Burrata, Fennel Pollen, Herbs and Flowers

A good and fresh dish to start with.
Roast Castletownbere Scallops, Green Apple and Sumac Jalapeños Scallion Butter

Also delicious and interesting.
Smoked Aubergine Tortellini, Violet Artichoke, Barigoule Mint Emulsion

Good taste and aromatic.
Native Blue Lobster Tail, Beechwood Smoked Butter, Almond, Fig Miso

Lobster is always good and this one was also very good.
Wild Turbot Steamed over Vadouvan, Delicate Fennel, Essential Lemon Oil

I am a big fan of turbot and this one tasted very good too. The mashed potatoes served with it were of a rare good quality, very soft.
Next came a cheese course. The trolley was interesting, but there were only 3 types per person. The presentation was rather modest, they didn't put much effort into it. Only one of the photos was successful, but the other plate didn't look much different.

Bing Black Cherry, Meringue Petals, Bronte Pistachio

I say solid.
“Coeur De Guanaja” Chocolate Tart, Bourbon Vanilla Ice Cream

A tasty dessert.
Petit fours.

Patrick Guilbaud, who is no longer behind the cooker himself, came around and asked how things were going. Always a good thing.
The food was very good. I personally found the Chapter One a tad better, GF preferred the Patrick Guilbaud. Let's agree on a draw.