FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls {CAN}
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:16 pm
infinityplusone

Programs: HH Diamond
Doubletree Resort Lodge & Spa Fallsview Niagara Falls Hotel Report

Doubletree Resort Lodge & Spa Fallsview Niagara Falls Hotel Report

We (2 adults, 2 kids) stayed at the DoubleTree Resort Lodge & Spa Fallsview Niagara Falls Hotel for one night at the end of Dec.

I had booked 1 KING 2RM STE FALLSVIEW NS, for $149 CDN, as I wanted to make sure we received a view of the falls. Doing it again, I would book the non-falls view ($129 or $119 CDN, I can’t recall) and hope for an upgrade as a Gold. 1) Because it was not that busy when we went - probably less then 50% capacity and 2) it was very cloudy / foggy. While we could see the falls, it was not that spectacular as the DT is about 1/2 - 3/4 mile from the falls. We were on the top floor, corner suite, room # 1915. The front desk clerk (Ruby) told us that it was one of the best rooms in the hotel.

I thought that the room, was nice, but the sitting area, seemed small (the emergency staircase cut into the room area - hotel design layout flaw imo). Our bedroom had three large windows, two facing the falls and one facing Clifton Hill (tourist area).
The windows had small vents at the bottom that could be opened for a breeze and you could hear the falls then albeit if you talked quietly.

If I remember correctly, from the room we could see all of the American Falls and about 10% of the Canadian Falls. We had a good view of the Skylon Tower and the surrounding area as well.

We only made use of the facilities noted, so can not comment on the other ones.

Things that did not impress me :
-The 2 continental breakfast certs we received were ok, I upgraded one of them to a full breakfast, the $15 upgrade seemed a bit high.
-As others mentioned I was told about the $9 parking fee (but it was not on my bill when I checked out).
-12pm check out was the latest they could give us, I had asked for 1pm.
-Light and Fan switch in the bathroom were behind the bathroom door – you had to shut the door to get to them easily, just something I thought odd.

Things that did impress me:
-Friendly staff (both front desk and at hotel restaurant - Buchanan's).
-The architecture of the hotel (outside lobby and hallways and the rooms somewhat) - Frank Lloyd Wright prairie style design. Both my wife and I really like this style.
-While breakfast was "ok" for costing $15, the muffins (blueberry and banana nut) were very good and very large IMO.
-Starbucks in the lobby (did not make use of it though).

I think if I went back I would probably try the ES, as it is closer to the falls.

FYI - If you are in the area do not choose the Rainforest Cafe as your place to eat. While it is a great experience, we all loved the animals, the thunderstorms, etc. The food was very very poor quality, all of the food (3 separate dishes and appetizer). Very processed tasting.