FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:45 pm
Nayef

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Not scanning a US passport when departing the US is going to do what? Mark the US citizen as having overstayed in the US, a country they have a legal right to reside in? There won't be an I-94 missing a departure record, since citizens don't need I-94s. Their return to the US will be perfectly routine.

I could see this being a potential problem for a Canadian/Australian dual citizen routing through the US on the way to AU...but there are ways to handle that situation.
When do these referenced passport scans happen? If during boarding, as far as all my travels they don’t scan passports at the gate. They just check passports and scan boarding passes and maybe ask a couple of questions. I thought only airlines and exit immigration check and/or scan passports.

I’m certain airlines do communicate second passports/citizenships for these purposes as people have been traveling this way for years and I know a couple of US-Aussie dual citizens who travel this way without a hitch. I don’t see why this would be different for US-EU citizens when ETIAS is implemented (barring any mishaps at the start of it).

I still don’t get what the hoopla is all about.

As for the I-94, I don’t know why this would be an issue. I-94s aren’t even paper anymore so I’m not sure what the info in the link is supposed to help with.

And in that routing a Canadian-Australian can just get ESTA for their Aussie passport. Or else they show originating airline in Canada both passport to show they don’t need ESTA or the ETA and communicate both things to US and AU for APIS. There could be some complications but the other US-EU/AU passport situations are much easier to deal with.

Last edited by Nayef; Sep 3, 2023 at 2:03 pm