FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)
Old Aug 19, 2023, 6:37 am
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I booked an intermediate and am PC.
I guess I havent flown into ATL for a while but had a new experience.

Went to the app to see what car I got and it said "Express". Not sure what it meant. Then went to choose car. No options. This happens sometimes, I usually just keep trying. Every now and then a car would show up (just one) but it when I tried to choose it, it would say it isnt available anymore.

Walking past the main counter, I saw a line stretching to the elevators. Went to Preferred and another very long line but a sign pointing an "express pickup" tent which also had a long line.

Waited about 20min (the longest I've ever waited for a car at AVIS) in hot weather.. The guy asked what category I booked. I told him and he said something like "hmm..." trying to figure things out I guess. I added "I'm PC so you could upgrade me too". Then he said the problem is "We don't have intermediates here, you know what, you can have this car here" Which was an Elantra that has been parked there for a while (with the engine running). I was a little confused because it I thought an Elantra WAS an intermediate car. I thought about trying to push for an upgrade because I happened to have two other people with me and I was giving another two a ride driving an hour away but didn't push it since I'd already been waiting and they seemed like they were short on cars.

Normally, I get assigned car on the app, then I can choose something on the app. If that fails, I can just goto the preferred counter where is usually no line and ask for something better. I know there is no guarantee of an upgrade, but I've never not gotten one before.

With this "Express pickup" tent, it sounds like everyone just gets in a line and literally gets the luck of the draw, which ever car happens to show up. It doesnt seem faster and you don't really get a choice. I'm not a fan.