FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy class passenger on round the world flight could not face another flight!
Old Jul 28, 2023, 11:27 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by findark
I think it varies widely by individual, but the common thread for a "typical" FTer is that such a member would have a good grasp of what it is like to be on flights like this and be going in eyes-open.

Some people have routines for enduring the misery and want to fly the fewest number of hours possible. Some people chart stopovers or overnight transfers to allow for rest in a hotel, as you suggest. Other people invest dozens of hours into understanding programs and finding fares to travel in a premium cabin, or in better seats, etc. for prices that might be similar to what the average non-FTer pays to fly in Economy. But the unifying thread is everyone knows what to expect when they do fly, as you can see from the undertone of mockery in some of the replies here.

Flying in Economy is quite miserable these days, and personally I would choose "don't fly" if a more comfortable cabin weren't an option. But it's also worth noting that airfare has been getting cheaper year by year, and in some ways it's magical that you can get on a flying machine and go visit the other side of the world in less than 24 hours, all for something like $80 in 1975 dollars each way.
Unlike most FTers and my non-FT friends who travel a lot, my obsession with premium travel has waned quite a bit as I've progressed through my 20s, 30s, and 40s (in progress). However, I happily pay i[p to avoid circuitous routings and/or break up long trips with nights in good hotels. I can handle economy (not middle seats though) for 12 hour stretches, whether or not I get quality sleep because I always have comfortable accommodation to look forward to upon arrival.