FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FBI Probes Laser Beam Directed at Cockpit at 8500'
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:37 am
Fredd

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
One would need a pretty smooth and accurate gimbal in order to keep the beam consistently pointed at the cockpit. Also, the a/c would have to be banked sufficiently in order to get as shot in the window.

I've "played" with lasers and agree that it's not an effective weapon when used as the article alleges. For the cost and effort involved, one could buy several MANPADS.

Having said that, I wonder if anyone has looked into if any shopping malls, movie theaters, or night clubs had searchlights or lasers set up to promote something?
I hope it's something like that. Here's another "just in" report by two separate pilots landing in Colorado:

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/1309846.html

Federal officials are investigating reports from two pilots who say bright lights were aimed from the ground into their cockpits as they headed into the Colorado Springs Airport.

Both planes landed without problems on Monday night.

Federal officials issued a warning this month that terrorists might try to down aircraft by shining powerful lasers into cockpits to blind pilots during landing approaches.