FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RJ - ALG-JFK - $927 r/t - Business
View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:59 pm
danger

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I've reached out to their embassy in Tokyo today to see what I can find out here. The Tokyo Embassy actually has a much more modern, up to date looking page compared to the one in the US. So far no reply, but the Tokyo page seems to infer that you have to go through an Algerian travel agency or their legal representative in Japan (sounds exactly like what China started doing here for a while). It also mentions that your application must be approved by the Algerian 'authorities' before the embassy can issue a visa, so apparently this has to get approved first in Algiers which could explain the delays you and others mention.

This is someplace I'd actually like to go and spend a bit of time, so definitely worth looking into aside from the MR potential.
Yes, I do recall the Embassy in Australia saying it was waiting on some kind of approval from Algiers. I don't believe that was the reason for the extended delay but there was certainly a need to check with a higher authority. I also remember being quizzed about my occupation.