FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:39 am
JIMCHI

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Invol Refund of Ticket Paid With A Travel Credit

We had F class tickets on a flight yesterday which cancelled due to a mechanical. The earliest UA could get us on our way is today and in economy class. This would cause us to miss a meeting this morning so we elected to purchase tickets at our own expense on Delta. The tickets had been purchased using a "travel credit" from another ticket which I had purchased in February but had to cancel.This credit has a "travel by date" of 2/19/2024. My understanding of DOT rules is that if UA cancels a flight for reasons within their control they are required to refund the price of the flight. My question is: since this ticket was paid for with a travel credit (which was still my money, not compensation for something like an oversale) am I entitled to a cash refund of the value of the travel credit? We will not be traveling on UA before the expiration of the credit so I would be out almost $800 if I have no financial recourse from UA's cancellation yesterday. Thanks for any advice.