FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:44 pm
Cholula
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I also did this when my dad died. I transferred the miles into my mom's account.

If it is not a spouse with the same address, does the will need to clearly state who gets the FF miles or can you just request the transfer and give the FF #s?

I too am sorry for your loss.
Let me too add my condolences.
My father-in-law passed away a few years ago and he had several hundred thousand SM's banked.
We were the trustees of his rather complicated estate and with all the other issues never gave his miles a second thought,
As I've read about this on FT over the last couple years, I now know we could probably have captured the miles. Too late for us but since only a year has passed perhaps you can get the miles transferred.
I've read elsewhere that transferring the miles is a lot easier if one has the foresight to include specific instructions in the will or trust. It can still be done with no will provisions and with the proper documentation. But if you want to transfer them to a distant relative or a charity, for example, it's better if this is spelled out in advance.
Perhaps one of the legal folks on this board can weigh in on this subject.