FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Summer flight delays -- get me to my cruise on time!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:24 pm
pbjag

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Very timely question. Almost all of my recent cruises have been in Europe, so I've always flown in to arrive a minimum 2 days ahead and I usually book those cruises for April through mid-June.

This year I'm booked at the end of September (hurricane season where I live) connecting through JFK and using frequent flyer miles for a business class ticket booked with the one airline/alliance (Star Alliance) on which I have no status. All of the recent travel meltdowns are giving me pause - especially since I have no status on Star Alliance and will be on a FF ticket - so I've spend the last few days looking at alternate options which will get me across the pond without having to connect in the U.S.

So now I'm tossing a coin between Air France or Air Europa from MIA because at least I'd be within train distance if things melted down at CDG or Madrid - and going in an additional day earlier (arriving at the European connection point 3 days before embarkation; the additional day is primarily driven by award availability). Next consideration/concern - will there be transit strikes in France or Spain at the end of September...?

Last edited by pbjag; Jul 5, 2023 at 4:30 pm