FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:46 pm
blitzen

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by barely_flying
Question about free nights certs. I made a reservation for a night in Paris, and I have a family of three, but the standard award only had rooms with double occupancy. I called the hotel directly asking about buying an upgrade over the phone to a room that could sleep three, but the front desk told me that I should wait for the app to tell me when I can upgrade. After some googling, I understand that Hilton has that 72 hour upgrade via the app sometimes. Now, I have a backup hotel in case this doesn't work, but what are the prices usually like? Should I expect to pay exactly the difference in the rooms? For example I'd be going from a standard king bed room, and would be looking for a paid upgrade to a room with a queen and a sofa bed. I know the rule is to book a room you'd be happy with, but the certificate in summer in Paris is pretty hard to use, to say the least.

Should I call Hilton's reservation line to see if they can help? I was under the impression most hotels can process paid upgrades at the front desk but I guess not this Hilton...

Thanks all.
I would either call again or email the manager and ask for a cash upgrade. The front desk clerk might not have the authority to do this, but whenever I contacted the hotel via email I came to an agreement. I expected to pay around the price difference between the rooms andmost of the time the hotel asked for something less (sometimes slightly less), I always state "I know as xxx I would get complementary upgrade on arrival, but I need a guaranteed upgrade as blablabla Would you be so kind to make me a cash upgrade offer?"