FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Adirondack Service Fully Restored [April 2023]
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:36 pm
zephyr17

Originally Posted by ND76
Let's hope the suspension ends soon. I have a ticket to ride this train MTR-SDY in September.
Well, the immediate cause of the suspension is a 10 mph speed restriction on segments of lightly used, poorly maintained trackage over the border in Canada when temperatures exceed 30°C/86°F. Depending on when in September, you may be able to expect lower temperatures. However, this is a problem that will cause the Adirondack to be wholly unreliable in summer months. As such, I think the chances are reasonable that the train will again be suspended entirely until a permanent solution is found to the track maintenance issue. The issue is vastly complicated because it is as Amtrak operated service, funded by New York State operating in Canada on a Canadian railroad. CN had frankly and publicly stated unless someone steps up to pay for a maintenance level that exceeds CN's own needs, they simply will not do it and the 10 mph speed restriction in hot weather will stand. Amtrak/NYS have no leverage at all to force the issue under Canadian jurisdiction. Spending US Federal or New York State grant money in Canada to remedy the issue is problematic, to say the least. I not think the root problem here will be quickly resolved.

In short, while I do not think you should bail at this point, I think you definitely should be formulating a Plan B.